Breyer Roofing were appointed as the Principle Contractor for Basildon District Council’s (previously St. Georges Community Housing) District-wide re-roofing Programme, in accordance with the LHC EX1 – R arrangement. The Programme had a budget of £1.7m. To date, we have completed £4.8m of works for the Arms Length Management Organisation (ALMO).
St Georges CH were responsible for managing and maintaining the Council’s housing stock and bringing them up to Decent Homes standards. As a new town, the main build of properties was between 1955 and 1965, resulting in the roofs requiring replacement. The District- wide re-roofing Programme comprised of:
• Replacement pitched and flat roofs
• Balcony refurbishments
• Removal of asbestos products
• Repairs to concrete finlock gutters
• Concrete repairs to various structural and cosmetic elements
• Re-rendering of badly-maintained properties
• Re-building of chimney and parapet walls
• Replacement and repair of lead works
• Gas safety checks after works to chimney areas • External redecoration
• Replacement PVCu products and gutters
• Pre-painting repairs
The Client’s top priority was our project at Spencer’s Court, which was in a desperate state of repair. Built in 1980, Spencers Court is a three-storey sheltered housing complex of 43 flats with an inverted roof that had water penetration, blocked outlets, chimney problems, problems with external cladding and problems around the windows. With no specification in place, Breyer Roofing were required to design and install a refurbishment solution that would improve the integrity of the roof and bring the sheltered housing complex up to Decent Homes standard.
Our team carried out surveys to all blocks at Spencer’s Court to identify the most suitable materials and manufacturer for the works, and advised Basildon District Council of our findings.
As a result, we proposed the selection and installation of the following roof coverngs:
• Marley Eternit Thrutone Fibre Cement Slate – for replacement of existing external cladding containing asbestos, and the replacement of the roof to the communal hall and caretakers property.
• Britmet Tileform Pantile 2000 Roofing Sheet – for replacement of the main roof.
• Bauder Triflex System – for waterproofing and re- surfacing of centre valley walkway of pitch roofs, flat roof areas and balcony areas.
The scope of works for the Spencer’s Court project also included window renewal. The existing timber framed windows had deteriorated and were not suitable for the vertical slating. We recommended the installation of Velux Centre-pivot windows.
Specifications for each element of the roofing works were produced by each selected manufacturer and were issued to Basildon District Council when they were approved.
The works were completed to a high standard, and three weeks ahead of programme. Our Quantity Surveyor for the project acted as a dedicated Cost Manager and monitored costs constantly throughout the project. The Client had a budget of £1.2m and we were able to complete the works at a cost of £826k.
Upon completion of the works, the Client was issued with a Client Satisfaction Survey, whereby we scored an overall satisfaction score of 99%.