Breyer Group were appointed as Principle Contractor to undertake exemplar energy efficiency upgrade works.
The Scheme comprised the extensive internal and external refurbishment specifically to three tower blocks reaching 23 storeys on the Ethelred Estate, namely Brittany Point, Elkington Point and Ward Point. Brittany Point is a 22 storey tower block completed in 1972 containing 113 flats. Elkington Point is an 18 storey tower block completed in 1972 containing 88 flats. Ward Point is a 20 storey tower block completed in 1972 containing 90 flats.
The scheme aims to provide Decent Homes inside exemplar energy efficiency buildings creating a 360 Degree sustainable and integrated community.
Key Design Attributes Included:
- Carbon Reduction exceeding the Government’s projected targets
- Introduction of High Performance Rendering to all external elevations
- Photovoltaic (PV) panels to South and West Elevations of all blocks (top quarter of the buildings)
- Windows were manufactured from recycled materials with high performance double glazed units which contribute to improved thermal performance, minimising reflections.
- Introduce colour and design to improve visual impact
- High Insulating Sedum Roof Covering
- Achieve the Decent Homes standard to all three tower blocks.
- CHP power source with ESCO arrangements
- Building performance comparison with before/after Infra Red Survey
Works also Included:
- New external service risers
- Replacement podium roof finish to car park areas
- Extensive works within dwellings on rolling basis involving asbestos removal, replacement kitchens and bathrooms, redecorations, new central heating and rewiring vent installations, hot and cold water services with decommissioning and removal of existing warm air system and existing primary supplies incorporating extensive programming for best fit programme
- Redecoration of communal entrance lobby areas including replacement of suspended ceiling and associated floor finishes
- Lift replacement/refurbishment maintaining fire access throughout the process
- Landscaping works to School playground located on the podium
Residents were at the heart of decision making on this scheme, which over time will save money for the residents as well as reducing CO2 emissions.
We appointed a Project Manager, two Site Managers and three Resident Liaison Officers to the scheme.
Extensive consultation was carried out throughout the entire decision making at pre-construction design stage. Full consultation was carried out through a number of forums including:
- Email Bulletins
- One-to-one visits
- Open days/ evening
- Notices at concierge locations
Liaison throughout the project was key to the success of the scheme due to the amount of other activity in the vicinity of the works. These factors encouraged us to widen our consultation to the surrounding communities including:
- Ethelred Nursery School and Children’s Centre – located on the podium between all three blocks.
- Kennington Park Square; a development of one and two bedroom residential flats on the estate.
- TMO office – Located adjacent to two blocks.
- Surrounding blocks – The tower blocks are surrounded by a number of low-rise occupied blocks.