In 2008, London Borough of Tower Hamlets set up an Arms Length Management Organisation, Tower Hamlets Homes, to manage it’s circa 22,000 housing stock. Tower Hamlets Homes manage the Decent Homes programme on behalf of London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It is anticipated that the programme will spend circa £160m on decency work from April 2013 through to March 2016 to meet the delivery targets. Breyer Group Plc has been appointed as one of three Contractors to deliver these works from 2013 to 2016.
Scope of Work
Major Decent Homes refurbishment contract comprising external and internal works including:-
Internals – Replacement kitchens and bathrooms; electrical rewires; boiler installation and heating system replacements; replacement front entrance doors
Externals – Replacement of roofs and rainwater goods (both flat and pitched); replacement windows; external wall repairs; external wall insulation.
- Delivering high volumes of internal refurbishments in a short space of time allowing Tower Hamlets Homes to meet Decent Homes targets.
- Delivering the works within Tower Hamlets Homes’ budget constraints
- Maximising employment and training opportunities for local Tower Hamlets Residents (currently 1 no. apprentice per £1m of spend throughout the life of the contract).
- A high proportion of these Residents come from an Asian background where English is not their first language.
- Delivering extensive Community benefits alongside the refurbishment works.
- We are currently on course to deliver Tower Hamlets Homes’ programme requirement of complete internal refurbishment works to 800 properties each financial year.
- Tower Hamlets Homes will achieve Decent Homes standard across a large number of properties in the Bethnal Green area before the end of the financial year.
- Incorporation of an External Wall Insulation (EWI) programme alongside the refurbishment works with a high percentage of ECO funding.
- Engaging directly with local BME/SME supply chain through holding of local events in partnership with Compete4 and Business Link London to enhance BME/SME buy in at a local level.
- Through this proactive approach, we are currently achieving 37% of project spend, spent locally in LBTH against our target of 30%.
Employment of local Residents as dedicated Resident Liaison Officers who know the local community and are able to offer translation services to Residents within their own homes.
- A continuing commitment to ‘Listen’ and work in partnership with Residents to adopt their wants and needs.
Early Resident choice options and pilot properties for Kitchens and Bathrooms in partnership with our supply-chain.
Working together collaboratively with LBTH to develop a leading edge approach, initiating best practice, collaborative working and continual improvement.
We were able to establish a Strategic Core Group arrangement during the pre-start period to agree the basis for a True Partnering Charter to include the roles and responsibilities within the arrangement and outline Benchmarks, policies and standards to deliver a quality service.